Friday, 9 May 2014

Crossing over

Jay Scott & The Find

                            
Corner Savoy

Roundella

A couple of days ago I had the chance again to do some live gig drawing, an Italian jazz group in Foyle's cafe, Charing Cross Road. After I'd finished, I though about the difference a couple of months had made since drawing Jay Scott & The Find in Hoxton Square. I had drawn Jay Scott's group pretty much in the same way as i had approach my figure drawing, multiple layers trying to get the stances right and trying to turn their faces into a portrait.

For Roundella, I went for the 'get it down with minimum lines' look I had used on Corner Savoy. Moving ways of working across genres is a whizzo idea. I have learnt that more lines doesn't necessarily make for a better piece. You don't always have to show how you got there.

No comments: