Sunday, 2 December 2012

Minor Scale


      Charlotte dozing at Grandma's. Pencil, approx 4.5 x 6 cms. 

Yesterday I thought I would have another go at drawing my eldest. She informed me I had 10 minutes before she would be skyping her sister. After she had moved herself to discuss the idiosyncrasies  of life in Peru with Megan, I thought why ever did I make such a ridiculously small drawing? The actual pencil marks here cover an area of 3 x 2.5 cms. It wasn't just an issue of time, and certainly not the size of my paper which was plenty big enough. I did it without thinking. Later I realised that the scale I had worked to; was the size her head appeared, as if I had taken a scale measurement at arms length. In a strange way, I had drawn her life size but only from where I was sitting.

No comments: